Friday, September 12, 2008

One of Shakespeare's cooler speeches...

I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercise, and indeed it goes so heavily against my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory. The air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire, why, it seems no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours! What a piece of work is man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me.

~Hamlet, Act II scene ii

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home